How do you keep the music playing?
The ultimate question for anyone considering marriage is, what does it take to make our relationship last? Drawing on our collaborative songwriting as a springboard for themes centered on preserving love in marriage, we address those points in a relationship where uncertainty and desperation meet hope and inspiration. Our purpose is to inspire people of all ages with a realistic, positive and hopeful view of marriage as God designed it. Having been married to one another for over 40 years we attempt to uncover the lasting treasures you can find for your marriage so that the music never stops playing.
Grounded in the certainty of the work of God which cannot be diminished by time or circumstance, nor its permanence easily dismissed, we illustrate how the marital relationship provides the fertile soil for aligning expectations, for mutual understanding, and above all, sacrificial love.
Included in the book are the diverse experiences and Biblical principles we’ve found to be reliable over the years for both character and relational growth. Those two growth dynamics, powered by the promises of God and the Holy Spirit’s working are the drivers of hope and endurance in any relationship.
Included are the guiding principles and themes for personal and relational transformation:
• The cultural influence on marriage
• Myths surrounding compatibility
• The love-God connection
• ONENESS—its meaning and power
• The secret of marital friendship
• Hindrances to love and intimacy
• Character—the road to a deep relationship
• Nurturing an understanding heart
• Love’s influence in the little things
• Speaking the truth in love
• The conversational aspect of marriage
• Fighting the ‘good fight’ & spiritual warfare
• The path to forgiveness and reconciliation
• A biblical perspective on divorce
• Developing an enduring mindset
• How faith ties the present to the future
• Fulfillment and completion over time
“Like their music, the practical wisdom of Bob and Evy Smith is a masterful interweaving of melody, harmony, rhythm, and poetry. Down to earth and supremely Biblical, their book will inspire and convict you; it will encourage and provoke you as you write the music of your own marriage.”
—George Grant • Pastor of Parish Presbyterian Church, and founder of New College Franklin.
“Bob and Evy Smith’s new book is different. This book fulfills a vacancy that has existed for some time. May God use it to bless many.”
—Jay E. Adams • Founder of the modern biblical counseling movement and The Institute for Nouthetic Studies; author of Competent to Counsel.
‘Outstanding!” —Tom Jackson Performance coach, author of Tom Jackson’s Live Music Method and All Roads Lead to the Stage.