We wrote The Music of Marriage to encourage lasting marriages!
Our new book is a bit of a musical composition. Each chapter is based on the lyrics of our original love/life songs. The lyrics provide a springboard for themes that recur like rhythms in music, contributing to a masterful composition—the end of which is the lasting fulfillment of marriage.
We provide insights into love and companionship that are based on the certainty of a work of God that cannot be diminished by time or circumstance, nor can its permanence be easily dismissed. We illustrate how the marital relationship provides the fertile soil for mutual understanding and sacrificial love. Included in our book are the diverse experiences and principles we have found to be reliable over the years for both character and relational growth—the safeguards we took, the lessons we’ve learned, and the scriptures we rely upon to strengthen our marriage over time—these are the defining things making the music last.
Included are the guiding principles and themes for personal and relational transformation:
• The cultural influence on marriage
• Myths surrounding compatibility
• The love-God connection
• ONENESS—its meaning and power
• The secret of marital friendship
• Hindrances to love and intimacy
• Character—the road to a deep relationship
• Nurturing an understanding heart
• Love’s influence in the little things
• Speaking the truth in love
• The conversational aspect of marriage
• Fighting the ‘good fight’ & spiritual warfare
• The path to forgiveness and reconciliation
• A biblical perspective on divorce
• Developing an enduring mindset
• How faith ties the present to the future
• Fulfillment and completion over time
“Like their music, the practical wisdom of Bob and Evy Smith is a masterful interweaving of melody, harmony, rhythm, and poetry. Down to earth and supremely Biblical, their book will inspire and convict you; it will encourage and provoke you as you write the music of your own marriage.”
—George Grant • Pastor of Parish Presbyterian Church, and founder of New College Franklin.
“Bob and Evy Smith’s new book is different. This book fulfills a vacancy that has existed for some time. May God use it to bless many.”
—Jay E. Adams • Founder of the modern biblical counseling movement and The Institute for Nouthetic Studies; author of Competent to Counsel.
‘Outstanding!” —Tom Jackson Performance coach, author of Tom Jackson’s Live Music Method and All Roads Lead to the Stage.